Morphological characteristics of Apis m. carnica
- Medium-sized, thin, generally gray, long legs;
- The abdomen is pointed and dark, the first wide lateral abdominal segment may exhibit leathery brown spots or patches, the first abdominal segment may be entirely leathery brown;
- The tomentum is gray to yellowish grey, wide, and very distinct;
- The hairs of the fifth abdominal segment are thick and short (0.25–0.35 mm);
- The cubital index is 2.7 (2.4–3.0);
- The proboscis is 6.4 to 6.8 mm long.